Pickle Palooza Festival-Phoenix
Pickle Palooza: The Greatest Celebration of Pickleball Ever.
February 21-23, 2020 at the AAA 4-Diamond JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona-(SOLD OUT, Wait List Only)
Saturday & Sunday Schedule Update as of 6:00 PM Phoenix 2/22/2020
Saturday Evening: The rain has stopped, and we are playing pickleball this evening! From 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM, we will have "Four On, Four Off" organized open play on the 12 permanent courts. Starting at 6:00 PM, we will have Palooza programming that will be announced at the courts. Come on & join us!
8 to 11 Open Play, Red bands only, challenge at your level.
8 to 5 Paddle Demo for open play based on band color.
9 to 10 Exhibition: Kyle Yates/Dave Fleming vs. Jessie Irvine/Callan Dawson.
10 to 11 Challenge the pros. Blue bands only. Temp net courts.
11AM Full Pickle Palooza Photo (everyone) – wear your Pickle Palooza t-shirt.
11 to 12 Instruction: airborne attacks and competition. All courts/all colors.
12 to 3 Open Play. Blue bands only, challenge at your level.
1 to 2 Exhibition: Kyle Yates/Irina Tereschenko vs. Adam Stone/Steve Dawson
2 to 3 Challenge the Pros. Red bands only. Temp net courts.
3 to 4 Instruction: lobs and competition. All courts/all genders.
4 to 4:30 The Comedy of Dave Fleming
4:30 to 5:30 Exhibition court: all pros playing and rotating in. All colors.
4:30 to 5:30 Open Play. All courts/all colors. 4 on/4 off, games to 7 if players waiting.
5:30 pm Safe Travels and thank you for coming to Pickle Palooza!.
End of Feb 22 6:00 PM update.
Featured Pickle Palooza Pros: Kyle Yates, Irina Tereschenko, Steve Dawson, Jennifer Dawson, Dave Fleming, Chris Miller, Jessie Irvine and Adam Stone (see bios below)
Feed your pickleball addiction with this incredible 3-DAY Pickle Palooza event featuring court exhibitions, interviews with the pros, on court instruction, paddle demos, open play and more! Plus, enjoy the social aspect of this beloved sport with great food, fun entertainment, and your chance to hang out with the games greatest players at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, AZ What's great about Pickle Palooza? Unlike a tournament where you may pay the cost of travel, lodging, and food only to go 2 and out, with Pickle Palooza you are guaranteed 3 full days of pickleball fun!
Hosted by senior pros Steve Dawson and Dave Fleming, all access tickets are for the entire Palooza, which includes everything listed below plus an awesome T-shirt with the Pickle Palooza logo. You will be one of the cool kids!
Daily Festival Activities include:
Pre-scheduled Stadium Court Exhibitions and up close and personal interviews with the games greatest players
- 5 hours of open play (grouped with your level)
- On-court instruction - designated instruction courts with pre-scheduled pros and techniques covered, so you don't miss a thing
- Paddle demos -- Grab a paddle you’ve always wanted to try and head to the
court to check it out immediately!
- Get One-on-one time with the pros and hang out with them at the club.
- Friday AND Saturday night entertainment.
Relax with a beverage and take in some great entertainment after a fun-filled day on
How Does it Work?
You purchase your tickets and provide us a little info including your t-shirt size, rating, etc. Be sure to let us know if you have family or friends you will be attending with. Palooza attendees will
be split into two limited-size groups so everyone gets their 5 hours of
court time each day and this will help us to make sure you get grouped together.
Upon check-in you will be assigned either a red or blue wristband
that will determine your open play court time for the entire event. (open
play times per color in schedule below)
There will be plenty of time to play with old friends and make new ones on the court. Play as much as you want during your time! Plus, throughout the Pickle Palooza, pros will be on the courts giving tips
to YOU about specific shots and how to improve YOUR game. This is an amazing opportunity to learn from the
best in the business.
SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
- 5-9pm hours added for those who can join!
- 5-7pm Open play, blue bands
- 6pm Exhibition Court: Pros TBD
- 7pm Exhibition Court: Pros TBD
- 7-9pm Open play, red bands
- 8am to 11am open play, blue bands only
- 8am to 5pm paddle demo for open play based on band color.
- 9am- 10am Exhibition court: Kyle Yates/Steve Dawson vs Adam Stone/Dave Fleming
- 10am-11am Challenge the pros: red bands only. Temp net courts.
- 11am to 12pm Instruction: 3rd shot drops, drives and blocks. All courts, all colors
- 12pm-3pm Open Play. Red bands only, challenge at your level
- 1pm-2pm Exhibition Court: Jennifer Dawson/Callan Dawson vs Irina Tereschenko/Jessie Irvine, all colors welcome
- 2pm-3pm Challenge the pros: Blue bands only. Temp net courts
- 3-4pm Instruction: dinking strategy and dinking competition. All courts, all colors.
- 4pm-5pm Exhibition Court: Kyle Yates/Randy Coleman vs. Adam Stone/Chris Miller, all colors.
- 4pm-9pm Open play, all courts, all colors 4 on, 4 off, games to 7 if people are waiting
- 5pm-6:30pm happy hour with pro's
- 8am to 11am open play, red bands only, challenge at your level
- 8am to 5pm paddle demo for open play based on band color.
- 9am-10am Exhibition Court: Kyle Yates/Dave Fleming vs. Jessie Irvine/Callan Dawson, all colors.
- 10am-11am Challenge the pros: Blue bands only, Temp. net courts
- 11am-12pm Instruction: Airborne attacks and competition. All courts, all colors
- 12pm-3pm Open Play, blue bands only, challenge at your level
- 1pm-2pm Exhibition court: Kyle Yates/Irina Tereschenko vs Adam Stone/Callan Dawson, all colors
- 2pm-3pm Challenge the pros: Red bands only, Temp. net courts
- 3pm-4pm Mid-Court Resets. All courts, all colors
- 4pm-5pm Exhibition Court: Chris Miller/Steve Dawson vs Adam Stone/Jessie Irvine, all colors
- 4pm-5pm Open play, all courts, all colors 4 on, 4 off, games to 7 if people are waiting
- 5pm-6:30pm Happy Hour and the comedy of Dave Fleming
- 8am to 11am open play, men only, challenge at your level
- 8am to 10am paddle demo for open play based on gender
- 9am-10am Exhibition court: Kyle Yates/Callan Dawson vs Adam Stone/Chris Miller, all colors
- 10am-11am Challenge the pros: Women only, Temp. net courts
- 11am-12pm Instruction: lobs and competition. All courts, all genders.
- 12pm-3pm Open play, women only, challenge at your level
- 1pm-2pm Exhibition Court: Jessie Irvine/Irina Tereschenko vs Steve Dawson/Chris Miller, all colors
- 2pm-3pm Challenge the pros: Men only. Temp net courts
- 3pm-4pm Instruction: reflex volleys and competition. All courts, all genders
- 4pm-5pm Exhibition Court: All pros playing and rotating in.
- 4pm-5pm Open play, all courts, all genders 4 on, 4 off, games to 7 if people are waiting
- 5pm Safe travels and thank you for coming to Pickle Palooza!
- Greater than 60 days eligible for a full refund
- 30-60 Days - 50% refund
- Less than 30 Days - no refund available
About the venue:
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
5350 East Marriott Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85054
Book online or call 480-293-5000 and receive 20% off room rates February 20-24th - DISCOUNT CODE: G9J (space is limited). Participants will also receive 20% off parking (QR code provided on site during the event)
The facilities for Pickle Palooza are first rate! The JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort and Spa is a AAA 4-Diamond resort featuring luxurious amenities including beautiful pickleball and tennis courts, on-site spa, championship golf course, 5 pools, a lazy river, and exceptional dining options. Relax after a full day of pickleball in suites that include deluxe bedding, modern technology and floor to ceiling windows with stunning views of the mountains, golf club, or resort pools.
Conveniently located near major attractions including the Phoenix Zoo, Phoenix Art Museum, MIM - The Musical Instrument Museum, Desert Botanical Gardens, Cave Creek, and the Desert Ridge Marketplace this is the ultimate Pickleball destination with plenty of room to explore. Once you've worked up your appetite, enjoy the culinary creations of the on-site restaurants or venture out and experience the explosive flavors from a number of local eateries that are within walking distance of the resort.
Confirmed Pickleball Pros
Kyle Yates - Kyle is widely considered one of the world's best
pickleball players. He has won gold medals in the Open Pro category at
the US Open, USAPA Nationals, and Tournament of Champions. 2018 was
very successful for Kyle. He took home four gold medals and one silver
medal including gold in Men's Doubles Open Pro and gold in Mixed Doubles
Open Pro at the US Open Pickleball Championships in Naples (the largest
tournament in the world). He recently added to his resume 4 Gold medals
and one Silver from the 2019 US Open Championships and 3 Gold medals
from the 2019 Margaritaville USA National Championships. Kyle has taught
camps and clinics all over the world, and is a founding supporter of
Irina Tereschenko - Irina has been playing and coaching racquet sports for over 20 years,
and is one of the top rated women's pickleball players in the world.
She has coached tennis at Texas Tech and the University of Washington,
and has given pickleball clinics in the US and in Europe. Her
tournament success is amazing. She is both a USAPA Nationals and US
Open Gold Medalist. In 2018 and 2019 Irina won four medals each year at
the US Open Pickleball Championships and she recently took home a Gold
and Silver medal from the 2019 Margaritaville USA Pickleball National
Steve Dawson - Steve is one of the world's best pickleball players and instructors. He is a three-time US OPEN Pro Gold Medalist, Huntsman World Champion, Canadian National Champion, and multi-time USAPA Nationals Medalist. Steve has over 25 years as a tennis and pickleball teaching professional, and is co-owner of the Bobby Riggs Tennis & Pickleball Center in San Diego, CA . After a successful collegiate tennis career (two-time Big 8 Champion at Univ. of Oklahoma), Steve became a full-time tennis coach. Years ago, Steve developed a passion for pickleball, and quickly became one of the sport's best players.
Jennifer Dawson- Jennifer is one of the most accomplished Tennis and Pickleball professionals in the world with over 30 years of professional teaching and playing experience. ITF World # 1 ranking in 45 and over, and ranked # 1 in the US in Women's Tennis 35, 40, & 45 age groups, she is the winner of multiple national championships. Jennifer is a five-time US OPEN Pickleball Championships Pro Gold Medalist, and three-time USAPA National Champion.
Dave Fleming - Dave began playing pickleball in 2016 at his friend's church gym upon invitation from his 5.0 tennis teammate. Although he still has a deep love of tennis he is now fully devoted to the sport of pickleball. His pickleball resume includes being a 2018 US Open Gold and Bronze Medalist, 2018 USA National Championships Gold Medalist, 2018 Tournament of Champions Silver Medalist, and 2018 SoCal Classic Gold and Bronze Medalist, 2019 Margaritaville USA Pickleball National Championships Bronze Medalist. Off the court you can find Dave performing his comedic one-man show about corporate America (Man vs. Office). He was even voted the #2 corporate comedian in the US by CBSNews.com.
Chris "Mills" Miller - "Mills" is a Pacific Northwest original – A Pickleball Pro who takes this game to a whole new level. Growing up with a back ground in baseball and basketball, he developed a passion for pickleball. Learning pickleball in HS and Community College was a main reason he became a High School PE teacher. Chris Has been playing USAPA tournaments since 1990 with over 30 years of experience! "Mills" is a multi-time USAPA National Champion including 2018 Gold medalist, 2019 US Open Gold medalist, 2019 Tournament of Champions Bronze medalist, multi-time Canadian Nationals Champion, multi-time Grand Canyon State Games Champion including 2018 Silver medalist and 2019 Bronze medalist, 2019 Atlanta Open Gold and silver medalist, 2019 SoCal Summer Classic Gold medalist, 2019 Las Vegas open Gold medalist, and in 2019 Chris took home a Gold, Silver and Bronze medal from the Margartiaville USA National Championships.. Chris has left the Northwest to help share his experience and knowledge teaching as the Head Pickleball Pro at Bobby Riggs Tennis & Pickleball Center in Encinitas/San Diego CA.
Adam Stone- Adam has a collegiate tennis background and only recently discovered his love for pickleball in 2018. He has quickly excelled in the sport and currently has a 6.0 USAPA Men's Doubles rating. Adam is a National Champion, US Open Champion, and has earned Silver and Bronze medals in numerous tournaments including the Florida Grand Slam, Bear City Open, Golden State Games, Texas Open, and Las Vegas Open. He recently added to his resume by earning a Gold Medal in Men's Doubles at the 2019 Margaritaville USA Pickleball National Championships.
Jessie "Trinity" Irvine - Jessie comes to the sport of pickleball from a successful tennis career and is originally from Cary, North Carolina. She started playing tennis at the age of 10 and was a top 10 Junior Tennis Player, former WTA Pro Tennis Player, and Top Women POP Tennis Player. Jessie moved to Southern California to focus on coaching juniors in tennis, which she has been doing now for almost 10 years. Her pickleball career began in November 2018. Jessie is making a statement on the pickleball courts as a member of team Engage and is continuing to add to her resume which includes a 4th place finish in Women's Pro Doubles at the 2019 US Open. Jessie is also a 2019 Tournament of Champions Gold & Silver Medalist, 2019 Las Vegas Open Silver & Bronze Medalist, and 2019 Margaritaville USA Pickleball National Championships Gold & Silver Medalist.
Callan Dawson: Callan is an exceptionally gifted 5.0 pickleball player and instructor, with an extensive track record of success. He is an inaugural PPF Champion, National Men's Open Doubles finalist, and was twice California State Champion.